I should be unpacking. But my little girl started third grade today at a new school. And I am thinking about her. I am wandering from one room to another, moving messes I should be cleaning.
She was nervous today. She was excited and eager, but those last five minutes as she stood in line with her new classmates waiting to go into the school, her smile faded. And I could see her nerves. I walked back over to her and gave her one last big hug, told her she looked fabulous, and reminded her of some of the things said in her father’s blessing last night. Then the bell rang and her teacher came out and escorted them into school. Honestly, it was almost as emotional for me as sending her off to Kindergarten was. So then of course I started thinking about sending Londyn off to Kindergarten next week, and I just about lost it.
So much as happened in the last year. At this point last year, moving wasn’t even in the picture. It’s been a roller-coaster. We told her we were moving just a few weeks into second grade. We drove her down to Lehi every day so she could stay in her same school until we knew where we would end up. Some days I would pick her up, some days she rode the bus home with Marie’s kids. One day I forgot her entirely and the school had to call me. (Not my finest moment.) The chaos was a lot for a little girl to handle. We bought our house in April (quite a bit longer than we thought we’d be house-hunting) but since we did a lot of renovations on it, we didn’t move in until last Saturday. And we’re still in the middle of unpacking and the mess and chaos that comes with that. Overall, Jacey’s summer kind of stunk. We worked on the house non-stop. We haven’t been on any trips. We didn’t even do field trips with the Driscolls this year.
And now she’s back in school. Worried about being the “new girl”. She did tell me she was glad that she didn’t have to start in the middle of the year as the “new girl” – that starting on the first day was better. We went a little bit early this morning so we could walk through the school and see where everything is, just to help her feel a little bit more comfortable. We found her classroom and met her teacher, who is new to the school as well. Actually, that was pretty comforting to her. To have her teacher be a “new girl” too. She is young and pretty and seems very kind, and Jacey told me she liked her the second we left the room.
I’m sure she’s fine. She makes friends easily and I’ve never really worried about her in social situations. And she has always done well in school and is a quick learner. I’m sure she’s fine.
Is it 3:30 yet?




2 comments:
You posted, you posted! Yeah! Oh she's so sweet. That would be so hard not knowing anybody. And probably even harder being the worrying mom. I'm always finding that I get more nervous for my kids than they ever seem to. How do we moms not get ulcers?! I so hope it went great! Glad you took a break to tell us about your life. Take more of those!
I can't believ she's in third grade. She definitely looked super cute. So glad she has a good teacher!
Post a Comment